Monday, April 27, 2009

Sometimes I Lie...

Watership Down! I read it! It was....okay. I have more complete thoughts written on paper, but I am just ready to do this and forget about it. So please forgive my elementary book report.

I was skeptical immediately. A book written from the point of view of rabbits? Seriously? It suddenly made sense why this book was assigned to middle school and junior high classes (though not my middle school or junior high). The plot was simple. Fiver has a sense that alerts him to danger so he rounds up his brother, Hazel, and a few random rabbits and guides them to safety. The encounter danger and obstacles (I never knew rabbits were so violent). They persevere. They tells stories and have their own God and myths and language.

Overall, the book was well-written and well-researched. Richard Adams must have spent months observing rabbits. I found myself growing bored with their stories by the end (the stories of El-Ehairah and Prince Rainbow) and never really found a relevance to the main story. I rolled my eyes a few times at various words and phrases (written down on paper as examples, but not here...sorry) as human characters would never even speak in that way. The rabbits kept reminding the reader that they were only merely rabbits and therefore did not understand certain things (such as water and boats), and I don't believe it was necessary.

I'm sure there is more to this book. Something about community and trust. Maybe something about courage. But whatever it was was buried and did not leave the book with me.

Final opinion - it was okay. I'm not sorry that I read it, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it or reach to read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment