Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Magic and Virgins - Part One of Two

Magical Virgins? Perhaps.....



Two reviews today! Because I am that awesome.



First - The Magicians, Lev Grossman



I finished this book last weekend while staying up 'til all hours of the night with an ice pack on my face that did nothing to calm an infected ear. To take my mind off of things, I thought I'd go to Brakebills school with the magicians.



And it worked. For the most part. As I had previously assumed, I did not claim this book to be a favorite. It was interesting. There was a lot about what it means to get everything you really want and whether or not it makes any difference in the end. So, in the end, was this book worth it? Eh. I felt like it could have been chopped in half and had the same impact. Maybe even more of an impact. It was long and there were characters that seemed completely unnecessary. Magic learned that probably was used later, but it was never really clear as to what way. He really worked in every single fantasy book I could think of and it was fun to see them in a modern, more adult setting. Would I recommend this book? I think so. It's certainly not for everyone. And I felt that in an effort to make it appeal to adults there were some themes that seemed completely irrelevant to the plot. Also, there is an absurd amount of nudity. These kids are always taking off their clothes...



Which is a major contrast to my next book:

(See next post)

No comments:

Post a Comment