Saturday, March 28, 2009

Hello Kindle

I have discovered that Amazon has free books for the Kindle. There are a few classics (Pride and Prejudice is one I should definitely own in both forms if it is free) and a few very random selections. These random selections are the ones I enjoyed most. The free books do not come with descriptions like the books we pay for so I am forced to choose by title alone. I now have 19 books on my Kindle, only two of which were paid for. There are titles such as:

Joe Strong The Boy Fire-Eater or, The Most Dangerous Performance on Record by Vance Barnum (obviously going to be awesome);
Trips to the Moon by Lucian of Samosata (who doesn't want to go to the moon?);
The First Men in the Moon by H.G. Wells (IN the moon? How have I not heard of this?);
The Wits and Beaux of Society by Grace and Philip Wharton (I have no idea what this is, but it looks like a sort of societal magazine from the late 1800's);
Memoirs of the Court of St. Cloud by Stewarton: Being Secret Letters from a Gentleman at Paris to a Nobleman in London 1805 (Again, no idea); and
Punch, or the London Charivari (looks to be another magazine with short articles of the time (that time being 1917).

There's a chance that a majority of these will be deleted immediately, but new items to read for free is always a good time. Reviews will be posted on an ongoing basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment